Field Study -- Tamil Nadu, India 2012

By way of introduction, my name is Joshua Malyon. I will be traveling to Southern India this Spring/Summer through the Field Studies program at Brigham Young University. I am in my Junior year, studying Environmental Science with an International Development minor. For the duration of the 3 months in India, I will be interning at Shanti Ashram, a Gandhian NGO located in Kovai Pudur, Tamil Nadu. I will also be researching the influence of music on the lives of southern Indians.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Newspaper: The Miracle Product 7.5.12


As far as I know, there are only three ways in which I’ve ever used newspaper in my lifetime. They are as follows:
  •         Reading
  •         The occasional arts and crafts project
  •         Wrapping birthday presents 

I have been blown away by the innovative nature Indians possess in their use of the same product. Here’s what I’ve witnessed so far, and I’ll start with the obvious:
  •          They read it.
  •          They also use it to wrap goods at the bakery. Sweet rolls, cookies, pastries.
  •          Vendors on the streets will wrap up your deep-fried snacks or fresh fruit in it as well. This is especially convenient, as you may read a snippet of the news imprinted on your fresh pineapple slice as you eat.
Newspaper surprise
Three "watai," deep-fried veggie patties
  •  It is also used for “to-go” carrying parcels at restaurants. They’ll first wrap your rice portion, omelet, dosa, idly, parotta or other item in a banana leaf, and follow it with a layer of newspaper before tying it up with string. The banana leaf is a superb insulator and keeps food warm a long time.
Three tomato-onion omelets
  •          Seeds or nuts will also be sold in a cone-shape fashioned newspaper holder for easy carry.
  •          Hand-towel substitute: after eating out somewhere, you will rinse your hands at the provided    bucket of water or wash-station. The shop owner may likely offer you a page of the paper to dry your hands.
  •          Once you have finished eating, the table may likely be wiped up with newspaper as a rag.

As I discover more ways in which the newspaper is used in India, I will continue to post them and continue to be impressed by the resourceful nature of these wonderful people.         

2 comments:

  1. sphonesphonesphone!!! I love the newspaper innovations- my personal favorite is when the thing I am about to put in my mouth, has little imprints of Tamil letters on it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal favorite is when a newspaper has an article on it thats really interesting. Its like a double whammy. You get a nice little suprise and some reading material to go with it. Indians really dont know what they have going for them on this one. Great post Josh!

    ReplyDelete