Field Study -- Tamil Nadu, India 2012

By way of introduction, my name is Joshua Malyon. I will be traveling to Southern India this Spring/Summer through the Field Studies program at Brigham Young University. I am in my Junior year, studying Environmental Science with an International Development minor. For the duration of the 3 months in India, I will be interning at Shanti Ashram, a Gandhian NGO located in Kovai Pudur, Tamil Nadu. I will also be researching the influence of music on the lives of southern Indians.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reading Journal: Research Ideas

So I'm having some difficulty coming up with a research project. I'm interested in so many different things it is tough for me to pinpoint one idea and run with it. I know that I'll be putting a lot of effort into whatever area of study I choose to research, and I think I fear that it won't end up as fulfilling to me as I had hoped. This aside, I know that the trip to India will be what I make of it, and that I will have the opportunity while I'm there to immerse myself in a variety of things that are interesting to me and will provide valuable learning experiences.

I am going to list my interests, brainstorm some of my research ideas just to get them down, and then discuss which limitations each of these may carry with them. I'll also write about how each of these ideas would aid me in learning about the culture in southern India.

I'm interested in music, and am passionate about art. I enjoy working with children and love athletics and the outdoors. I've thought about researching a caste of musicians in southern India who travel to different regions to perform at various events and ceremonies, as I understand it. I would love learning about the music culture of these people. It would be interesting to experience the different and traditional styles of music, what instruments they play, and compare and contrast the contemporary music styles in the U.S. to that of India. Another interesting aspect of this would be to learn of the caste system. What it means to be in this caste of musicians, if this lifestyle is passed along through familial lines, how they are regarded among other castes, etc.

I have also tossed around the idea of researching the methodology and lifestyle of farming and farmers in this region. I would find it fascinating to learn of the practices they use, what agriculture is grown, and which foods are most commonly harvested and produced. Along with this idea, I would be very interested in researching nutrition in India. What foods they eat, what nutritional value these foods provide, and how the Indian diet compares to that of the U.S. The aspect of studying about the castes could also apply to this area of research. A limitation with this idea however, is that I am much more familiar with music in the U.S. than I am with farming methods. Thus, studying the musical culture of India seems like it would come easier to me than if I were to study farming culture.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I am just copying and pasting the same comment for everyone, but I recently just discovered this currently updated Indian blog list. Supposedly they are supposed to be cool ones or something and the guy that runs it is still updating it, so maybe it will be good? It covers a huge variety of topics, so maybe you guys can find some stuff specifically for your projects or just if you want some new stuff to do for background research or just to inspire new learning journals or something. I don't know. Do what you will. I am just sharing the wealth. I mean, I haven't gone through it entirely, so maybe it isn't wealthy, but oh well.

    http://indianbloggers.org/

    ReplyDelete