Field Study -- Tamil Nadu, India 2012

By way of introduction, my name is Joshua Malyon. I will be traveling to Southern India this Spring/Summer through the Field Studies program at Brigham Young University. I am in my Junior year, studying Environmental Science with an International Development minor. For the duration of the 3 months in India, I will be interning at Shanti Ashram, a Gandhian NGO located in Kovai Pudur, Tamil Nadu. I will also be researching the influence of music on the lives of southern Indians.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Inquiry Conference Notes - 3

Kristen Cardon also presented Thursday afternoon on a topic entitled, Tibetan Digital Literacy: A Case Study of New Media as a Research Medium. She researched the Tibetan's relationship with the internet, and came to some interesting conclusions about the importance of the internet in research.

I can apply a lot of what she said to my own Field Studies work. Although it's questionable whether online chatting can be considered a legitimate form of research to cite, Kristen commented on how extremely beneficial it was for her to communicate with people in the field before she even went. Whether in the form of skype, email or facebook, there are a variety of ways to easily communicate with people and receive, as she put it, "real-time information," rather than information from a book that was published a few years ago and may be outdated. At this point, I have contact with two native Indian men with whom I can communicate and are willing to answer questions and aid me in my Field Study preparations. A final word of advice I can draw from Kristen's presentation is this: While in the field in southern India, I need to find a balance between experiencing life there, and documenting it. Both are very important factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment