Field Study -- Tamil Nadu, India 2012

By way of introduction, my name is Joshua Malyon. I will be traveling to Southern India this Spring/Summer through the Field Studies program at Brigham Young University. I am in my Junior year, studying Environmental Science with an International Development minor. For the duration of the 3 months in India, I will be interning at Shanti Ashram, a Gandhian NGO located in Kovai Pudur, Tamil Nadu. I will also be researching the influence of music on the lives of southern Indians.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Inquiry Conference Notes - 2


Rachel Rueckert followed with a presentation called Social Media and Cross-cultural Learning. I felt like there was a lot for me to learn from this presentation, mainly because technology isn't my forte. She spoke about how the use of modern technology aided her in her research during her field study.

Here's what I can apply to my own Field Studies experience: Fist off, she gave specific examples of how her blog was read and used by people around the world, demonstrating that our research as students, can and will benefit others! In a voice of caution however, she pointed out that because people have free access to what is posted on our blogs, we are accountable for whatever we write! We need to take caution that what we say is accurate, appropriate, and non-offensive in any way. It is also important to comment on other people's blogs, and connect with other people, as you will be able to bounce information and ideas off each other. These things can benefit you long term, because you can stay in touch even after you are finished with the program.  

No comments:

Post a Comment